General Discussion Community for All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is Depression?

4 posters

Go down

What is Depression? Empty What is Depression?

Post by Dazzler Mon May 17, 2010 9:01 pm

Depression is a disorder that involves a feeling of misery that affects a person's way of life and self esteem. It causes changes in behavior, feeling, and physical well-being that could last for weeks or longer depending on how you cope. It affects the mind and clouds judgement. However it doesn't mean that it's all in the mind. A person under going depression can lose interest in life. Some even commit suicide. What we need to understand is that this is a mental illness that needs appropriate attention and treatment like psychotherapy or counseling. Seeking for professional help doesn't imply that a person is crazy. The sooner the condition is treated, the better for the sufferer's friends and family. There are anti-depressant medication and other alternatives like joining a social group to aid a person in recovery.

Some Symptoms of Depression are:

• Chronic fatigue

• Sleeplessness

• Irritability

• Change in appetite

• Restlessness

• Significant weight loss/gain

• Hopelessness

• Thoughts of death or suicide

If you are suffering from these symptoms, talk to someone and ask for professional help. Going through depression is not easy so it is important for friends and family to show understanding, compassion, support, and guidance. Significantly, a person must accept the condition and want to be better to pull through. The longer you deny it to yourself, the more you will suffer. There is hope for depression. All you need to do is ask.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dazzler
Dazzler
Administrator
Administrator

My mood : What is Depression? Worrie10

Location Location : Fantasia

http://www.dazzlermakeupandbeautyblog.com

Back to top Go down

What is Depression? Empty Re: What is Depression?

Post by mikaela Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Thanks for the great and informative article admin. I don't think that I was ever depressed. Maybe a little sad but I'm glad that it's nothing that serious. However, I could use a little help right now since my best friend is suffering from depression. I don't know what to do because I feel like there's nothing I can do to make her fell better. Her boyfriend dumped her and she's just devastated. She'll a mess and she doesn't want to do anything but stay on her room and cry. She hasn't told anyone but me and I'm worried that something might happen to her or she may do something bad. What do I do?
mikaela
mikaela

My mood : What is Depression? Th_coo10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzler Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:54 pm

I think you should let her parents know. Depression is a difficult condition and if she doesn't get help soon it could get worse. You can talk to her constantly and convince her to talk to her mom. Someone has to know in her family so she can look after her. It's not easy to deal with this condition so she needs help from people who care about her a lot.
Dazzler
Dazzler
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by mikaela Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:27 pm

She doesn't want to tell her mom because she's not allowed to have a boyfriend yet. I don't know what to do. I really feel sorry for her because she's just so hurt about what happened. I can't make her go out for shopping or to watch a movie which she normally loves doing.
mikaela
mikaela

My mood : What is Depression? Th_coo10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzler Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:20 am

You cannot be responsible for what is going to happen to her. If she really is depressed, then she has to seek help. It's normal to be sad about a breakup. However, if it causes too much pain than she can handle you have to tell someone. You cannot be there for her all the time which is why you need to share this to her parents or maybe an older sister so they can help her get pass this. Show some more efforts of taking her out for shopping or a movie but avoid things that remind her of the breakup issue. You can try going to spa and get some pampering to make her feel good again Smile
Dazzler
Dazzler
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kja888 Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:37 pm

A break up is very painful. I know. So give her time, she will come around. sometimes we need to have space and allow others to feel their pain because this will make her stronger. Send her messages of encouragements. You may not replace her boyfriend but it counts to know that you are there to help out - a true mark of a genuine friend.
kja888
kja888
General Chat Staff
General Chat Staff

My mood : What is Depression? Th_hap10

Location Location : Iloilo City

http://kenjamal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cymbalta Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:24 pm

hey.

i just saw this post.

i think we should make this a sticky, after all it's what the forum category is about

cymbalta
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

My mood : What is Depression? Th_hap10

Location Location : far from happyness

http://sweet-damage.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum