General Discussion Community for All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tea and coffee

3 posters

Go down

tea and coffee Empty tea and coffee

Post by cymbalta Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Drinking coffee or tea in moderation reduces the risk of developing heart disease,
according to a new study. Researchers in The Netherlands found that drinking more than
six cups of tea per day was associated with a 36 per cent lower risk of heart disease
compared to those who drank less than one cup of tea per day. Drinking three to six cups
of tea per day was associated with a 45 per cent reduced risk of death from heart disease,
compared to consumption of less than one cup per day. And for coffee, the researchers
found that drinkers with a modest intake, two to four cups per day, had a 20 per cent
lower risk of heart disease compared to those drinking less than two cups or more than
four cups. Although not considered significant, moderate coffee consumption slightly
reduced the risk of heart disease death and deaths from all causes. The study has been
published in Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology: Journal of the
American Heart Association.

In what could lead to a major advance in the treatment of prostate cancer, scientists now
know exactly why polyphenols in grapes, peanuts and green tea inhibit cancer growth.
This new discovery, published online in The FASEB Journal, explains how antioxidants
in grapes and green tea produce a combined effect to disrupt an important cell signaling
pathway necessary for prostate cancer growth. This finding is important because it may
lead to the development of drugs that could stop or slow cancer progression, or improve
current treatments.

An extract of green tea appears to have clinical activity with low toxicity in chronic
lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) patients who used it in a phase II clinical trial, say
researchers at Mayo Clinic. The findings, to be presented June 7, during the annual
meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), are the latest in a series
of Mayo studies to show promise for use of the chemical epigallocatechin gallate
(EGCG) - the major component of green tea - in reducing the number of leukemia
cells in patients with CLL. Mayo first tested EGCG in a variety of laboratory assays
about eight years ago, and it was found to reduce the survival of CLL leukemic cells.
This laboratory finding was followed by a successful phase I clinical trial - the first time
green tea extract had been studied in CLL patients.

We have been hearing good news about tea. Now some bad news about tea. Women who
drink tea have an increased risk of developing Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) compared with
those who drink none (p=0.04), according to results presented today at EULAR 2010, the
Annual Congress of the European League Against Rheumatism in Rome, Italy. Further
results from the same study showed no correlation between the amount of coffee
consumption and RA incidence (p=0.16).

The results of the US based longitudinal cohort study involving 76,643 women showed a
positive association of incident RA in tea drinkers with an increasing Hazard Ratio (HR)
observed alongside tea consumption (p=0.03). Consuming any amount of tea carried a
significant risk of developing RA (HR 1.40 (95%CI 1.01-1.93) p=0.04) and women who
drank =4 cups of tea per day had an increased risk of developing RA compared to those
who drank none (HR 1.78 (95%CI 0.83-3.82)). An analysis of the method of preparation
of coffee (filtered vs unfiltered) and presence or lack of caffeine in the beverage did not
show any significant associations with RA or Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE, an
autoimmune disease in which the immune system harms the body's own healthy cells and
tissues) (RA: filtered p=0.08, unfiltered p=0.38, SLE: filtered p=0.74, unfiltered p=0.97).
No increase was shown in the risk of developing RA in participants who drank coffee
compared to those that did not (RA: HR 1.09 (95%CI 0.77-1.54 p=0.63).

cymbalta
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

My mood : tea and coffee Th_hap10

Location Location : far from happyness

http://sweet-damage.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

tea and coffee Empty Re: tea and coffee

Post by Dazzler Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:27 pm

I am a coffee drinker and I also enjoy green tea a lot. I take a cup a day of either beverage and it makes me feel more energized and lively. As long as it is consumed in moderation, coffee and tea are great for the body because they are rich in antioxidants that fight off free radicals that destroys our cells
Dazzler
Dazzler
Administrator
Administrator

My mood : tea and coffee Worrie10

Location Location : Fantasia

http://www.dazzlermakeupandbeautyblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TamasineK Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Lol, i love drinking instant teas. I don't even have to put sugar to it.
It's just - Take a cup, put in the tea and water that doesn't even have to be boiled. Smile
So i drink tea a lot (haven't even counted)
TamasineK
TamasineK

My mood : tea and coffee Th_tha10

Location Location : In Will of the Posting!

http://legendofnight.darkbb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzler Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:03 pm

I like tea with milk and honey. I am not a fan of tea before but I started liking it when my sister told me to add milk and honey to it. I have to say that it does taste a lot better than having it plain just like I am not a fan of black coffee as well Very Happy
Dazzler
Dazzler
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by TamasineK Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Lol, i don't like Milk combined with Tea xD
Thought Honey is fine, but only for warm/hot tea.
TamasineK
TamasineK

My mood : tea and coffee Th_tha10

Location Location : In Will of the Posting!

http://legendofnight.darkbb.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzler Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:10 pm

I didn't like it at first but I do now Very Happy. Some like instant milk tea but I prefer to brew my own because I get a richer taste and aroma Very Happy
Dazzler
Dazzler
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down