General Discussion Community for All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

norman wizdom, dies at 95

2 posters

Go down

norman wizdom, dies at 95 Empty norman wizdom, dies at 95

Post by cymbalta Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:14 pm

Sir Norman Wisdom died last night at the age of 95.

The star, who was one of the country’s best-loved comedians, had been in very ill health in the days before his death at an Isle of Man nursing home.

In a statement, his family said: ‘Over the past six months Norman has sustained a series of strokes causing a general decline in both his physical and mental
health.

‘He had maintained a degree of independence until a few days ago. However, over the last few days his condition rapidly declined. He was in no pain or distress
and peacefully passed over.’

Sir Norman retired in 1990 after a career that spanned six decades and won him global fame.

He discovered his talent for comedy while serving in the Merchant Navy and later the Army.

After seeing one of his performances, the actor Rex Harrison advised him: ‘If you don’t become a professional comedian when you’re back in civvy street,
you’re mad.’

Five-foot tall Sir Norman took the advice to heart and, in December 1945, persuaded the manager of Collins Music Hall in Islington, North London, to give
him break as a performer. He was billed as Norman Wisdom, The Successful Failure.

Over the next few years he developed his hallmark character, The Gump – an innocent, enthusiastic, but hapless little man always anxious to help.

‘I began to play it up, laying on the pathos to see how far I could stretch it,’ he once said. ‘I felt I had hit upon a unique image.’

His first film for Rank, Trouble In Store, was an instant hit in 1953 and launched the song that would become his theme tune: Don’t Laugh At Me, which made
number one in the charts.

The movie, in which his window-dressing ambitions spark chaos in a department store, set the template for the films that followed.

sir Norman always played the 'clown', the clumsy underdog in turned-up cap and ill-fitting suit battling against adversity.

In titles like The Early Bird, The Square Peg and A Stitch In Time, he worked for his nemesis Mr Grimsdale, sparking the catchphrase 'Ooo, Mr Grimsdale!'.

Between 1955 and 1966, Sir Norman beat Sean Connery's James Bond to become Britain's biggest box office draw.

Gump was Sir Norman's own word for his accident-prone fool character, often called Norman Pitkin.

Charlie Chaplin called the diminutive star his favourite clown and Sir Norman was seen as the natural heir to entertainer George Formby.

Sir Norman summed up his appeal: 'My comedy is for children from three to 93. You do need a slightly childish sense of humour and if you haven't got that,
it's very sad.'

cymbalta
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

My mood : norman wizdom, dies at 95 Th_hap10

Location Location : far from happyness

http://sweet-damage.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

norman wizdom, dies at 95 Empty Re: norman wizdom, dies at 95

Post by Dazzler Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:02 pm

So sad... Rest in peace Sir Norman Wisdom
Dazzler
Dazzler
Administrator
Administrator

My mood : norman wizdom, dies at 95 Worrie10

Location Location : Fantasia

http://www.dazzlermakeupandbeautyblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cymbalta Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:51 pm

2 hollywood icons, died with in the space of 3 or 4 days.

what's up with that

cymbalta
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

My mood : norman wizdom, dies at 95 Th_hap10

Location Location : far from happyness

http://sweet-damage.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzler Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:40 pm

Yeah I was thinking about that when you posted this too. That's just a little weird
Dazzler
Dazzler
Administrator
Administrator

My mood : norman wizdom, dies at 95 Worrie10

Location Location : Fantasia

http://www.dazzlermakeupandbeautyblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down