General Discussion Community for All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ways of Coping with Grief

4 posters

Go down

Ways of Coping with Grief Empty Ways of Coping with Grief

Post by jortigas Mon May 24, 2010 6:04 pm

Grief can affect you in many ways, but for many the prevailing feeling is one of the most intense emotional pain. Some develop a sense of denial and hoping that a loved one will come and resume with their lives. Others break down and cry every time they see someone or something that reminds them of their loved one. But, there are those who refuse to believe this had happened. This illustrates that grief can be extremely painful because it will overcome you with a feeling of disbelief, bleak prospects, emptiness, and loneliness.

Yes, grief can stir up a mixture of emotions, even anger and bitterness. You may look ahead and find out that recovery is possible if you allow yourself to heal however long it will take. Physical injury and bereavement is similar because it takes time to heal properly. Recovering from grief may take months, years or even longer. The first few months are the most critical. Alternatively, grief is said to be a necessary part of the healing process while you learn to adapt to a new reality. Grief may provide a necessary emotional release. Of course, not everyone grieves in exactly the same way but one thing seems to hold true: repressing your grief can be harmful mentally, emotionally, and physically. Some people who never recovered from their grief are often said they died of a broken heart.

Many who suffered from the loss of a loved one found that talking to friends could be very helpful. Taking comfort in your friends can help ease the pain inside you. You too may find that putting your feelings into words and sharing them with a sympathetic listener will make the healing process easier to deal. Others find writing as a therapeutic way of expressing grief.

Allow the natural process of healing. Never be ashamed to cry. Take things to heart and take comfort and encouragement from family and friends. Grief knows no textbooks, race, religion, or stature. Your only hope is to think ahead with positive prospects and your will to survive.

jortigas
Consultant
Consultant

My mood : Ways of Coping with Grief Th_hap10

Location Location : Philippines

http://alljobsandcareer.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Ways of Coping with Grief Empty Re: Ways of Coping with Grief

Post by Dazzler Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:10 pm

This is a great article! I always cry whenever I'm sad and I'm not ashamed of it. That is my way of letting out my frustrations and pain. There is no easy way of coping but to just accept the situation with courage. Prayers work so when you can't handle it anymore, He's just there listening. I always call to Him whenever I feel sad and blue. Even when I am upset and disappointed about something. And God never failed to make me feel better. The best way to deal with any pain and suffering is to come to God because He will surely take it all away Very Happy. God is good!

Last edited by Admin on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dazzler
Dazzler
Administrator
Administrator

My mood : Ways of Coping with Grief Worrie10

Location Location : Fantasia

http://www.dazzlermakeupandbeautyblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by broken Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:58 am

I find it so difficult to express how I feel to friends and especially my family so I prefer to join discussion boards instead. I have been grieving for awhile because of a failed relationship after 3 years. It's so difficult to move on and I haven't told anyone yet. I notice that I become more angry and I get irritated easily. The pain is creeping inside and I don't know how to let it out. Crying it out is not a good idea for me because I feel like I am giving in to being weak and I think it's gay.
broken
broken

Back to top Go down

Post by kja888 Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:03 pm

One way to cope with grief is to talk with a matured family friend, a counsellor or a trusted personal friend. while some find it comforting to talk about their feelings, other may prefer writing. Writing down you feeling and concerns can be a helpful release. You can do both if you are inclined to do so. Lastly, crying is not in anyway an expression reserved for females, this is entirely not true. Many notable men in the bible including Abraham wept for Sara when she died; Jesus cried when he heard that his friend Lazarus died. Crying is a healthy expression, and since something grave happened, thus, it is normal to show feelings of pain. If you prefer to cry then by all means, but not in public though... One other thing, these are suggestions only not a rule, you may consider other options at your discretion. I have lost my father and mother too, so I understand what you have been going through.
kja888
kja888
General Chat Staff
General Chat Staff

Location Location : Iloilo City

http://kenjamal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzler Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Very well said kja and I definitely agree that crying isn't just for women. It doesn't make a man look gay at all. It find men who cries actually very strong because they are not ashamed or showing what they feel. I also keep a journal I have to say that it helps a lot. I don't always have someone to share my frustrations with so I write about it. Listening to music also helps me feel better. When I am sad I listen to music and I feel better. You can try other channels you are comfortable with but make sure to be responsible. This too will pass broken...
Dazzler
Dazzler
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by kja888 Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:14 pm

Yes totally I agree Ms Admin. This too will pass... broken. I always say that to my friends who have similar situations. Empathy, encouragement and a sincere friend is what you need right now. We must never give up hope.
kja888
kja888
General Chat Staff
General Chat Staff

Location Location : Iloilo City

http://kenjamal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzler Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:33 pm

Right! We all will experience grief, pain, or suffering at one point or another in our lifetime. No one is ever prepared for this but know that many have been through this same situation before and they all got over it. We have no control of what's happening around us. So even if it hurts we have to learn let go and move on.
Dazzler
Dazzler
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:47 am

I always feel better expressing my feelings in writing, like a journal or something. This actually came about a few years ago based on a writing assignment our resource room class had to do ( I was a special-needs student) and the teacher clearly found that out that that was how I expressed feelings best was through writing. A really great article, though, and it helped alot. Another thing that helps are grief support group camps. I went to one a few years ago after my aunt passed away unexpectedly, and it really helped. They had loads of activities, grief support group meetings, all kinds of things. I don't remember details too well about any of those events because I was only 12 or 13 at the time, but the grief support camp definitely helped. The one I went to was called Camp Good Mourning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzler Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:50 pm

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your aunt. I actually do keep a journal too because that is where I express all my feelings. It makes me feel secure because I know that my journal won't judge me no matter what I share so the stress, the bad feeling is let out and it makes me feel a lot better. I do believe that support groups a re really helpful because they understand exactly what you are going through and know what to do to comfort you.

Thanks a lot for sharing. I'm sure that the other members and guests are learning from our experiences and advises.
Dazzler
Dazzler
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down