General Discussion Community for All
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

alternative options for treatment of mental illness

2 posters

Go down

alternative options for treatment of mental illness Empty alternative options for treatment of mental illness

Post by cymbalta Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Yoga can relieve symptoms of mental illness. - Stefano Valle

Alternative treatment approaches for mental illness have become popular in recent years. Many people are opting to try a natural and holistic approach to treatment. By controlling treatment, people gain independence over their mental disease.

Diet Changes Affect Mental Health
According to HealthyPlace, "eliminating milk and wheat products can reduce the severity of symptoms" for several mental disorders, like schizophrenia and autism. St. John's Wort and ginseng have long been used to treat symptoms of depression and anxiety. Magnesium and B-vitamins can also help to reduce the severity of mental health symptoms.

According to WebMd.Com, vitamin D can increase a person's level of serotonin. These levels tend to be lower in people suffering from depression. People suffering from Seasonal Affective Depression, or SAD, are particularly susceptible. Vitamin D supplements or time spent outdoors in the sun will increase levels.

Animal Therapy and Mental HealthTreatment

Animal therapy can be effective treatment for depression and other mental health disorders. Animal therapy can be beneficial to children or adults with social skill deficits due to mental illness. By learning to interact appropriately and treat animals well, children and adults can transfer those skills to everyday relationships.

Animals can provide companionship and purpose to people suffering from mental illness as well. Owning and caring for a pet helps a person value the life of another, and ultimately, their own life.

Using Expressive Therapy To Improve Mood

Art, dancing, and music can help people heal from mental illness. Creating a picture or sculpture of a past trauma to be buried or destroyed helps people suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder move forward. A child may struggle to verbalize emotions but can draw a picture of his problem or issue. According to HealthyPlace, "research suggests music stimulates the body's natural 'feel good' chemicals." For this reason, music is an excellent alternative to medication.

Acupuncture/Yoga Can Minimize Symptoms

Acupuncture has been used to treat a variety of illnesses. Acupuncture can diminish stress and anxiety, improve concentration and focus for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder symptoms, and relieve physical symptoms of depression.

Yoga combines physical and mental stimulation, enabling practitioners to achieve a feeling of balance within life. The premise behind acupuncture and yoga is that it will enable mental health patients to find a balance, thereby eliminating negative energy while promoting positive energy.

Using Guided Imagery To Treat Symptoms

Guided imagery therapists believe the body and mind are intrinsically connected. Guided imagery involves both relaxation and mental stimulation to alleviate stress, depression, or anxiety. Deep breathing exercises are combined with scripts describing relaxing scenarios, and you attempt to feel, see, hear, taste, and touch the sensations being portrayed. Guided imagery can be used nightly to eliminate insomnia symptoms associated with mental illness.

Many alternatives exist for people suffering from mental illness. People resistant to medications or unable to find an effective treatment may find healing in everyday life experiences.

This article is for informational purposes only. Consult your mental health provider before discontinuing any medication regimen or beginning alternative methods of treatment.

Sources

HealthyPlace. "Alternative Approaches to Mental Health Treatment". Last modified March 16, 2010.

WebMD. "Guided Imagery: Topic Overview". Last modified June 30, 2009.

MedicineNet. "Animal-Assisted Therapy Information". Last modified October 13, 2003.

Read more at Suite101: Alternative Options for Mental Health Treatment http://personalitymooddisorders.suite101.com/article.cfm/alternative-treatments-for-mental-illness#ixzz0zEhnXO7X

cymbalta
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

My mood : alternative options for treatment of mental illness Th_hap10

Location Location : far from happyness

http://sweet-damage.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

alternative options for treatment of mental illness Empty Re: alternative options for treatment of mental illness

Post by Jason Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Great post cymbalta. I have heard of using yoga to get over depression. I do believe in animal therapy because it worked for my girlfriend. She was sick and very sad and I took her to a dog show, and the next day she's well Very Happy
Jason
Jason
General Chat Staff
General Chat Staff

My mood : alternative options for treatment of mental illness Th_tha10

http://junepahila.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

alternative options for treatment of mental illness Empty Re: alternative options for treatment of mental illness

Post by cymbalta Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:03 pm

if you're interested in stuff like this, i'll post more.

Smile

i find it very useful. the imformation is very good

cymbalta
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

My mood : alternative options for treatment of mental illness Th_hap10

Location Location : far from happyness

http://sweet-damage.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down